Local and International News media related to TCM and COVID-19
- China is promoting coronavirus treatments based on unproven traditional medicines. published on Nature (5/6/2020)
The Chinese government and its state media are encouraging the use of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) to combat COVID-19 symptoms. Although there is no evidence that explicitly proves TCM as effective, comparative studies report TCM remedies to have reduced mortality rates.
- Why people are turning to Traditional Chinese Medicine in the wake of COVID-19. published on The Coveteur (5/5/2020)
For people who are interested in learning about traditional Chinese medicine, this article gives background information about TCM and explains how you can start incorporating it into your own life.
- To fight the coronavirus, some patients turn to alternative medicine. published on Los Angeles Times (4/17/2020)
Since there is yet to be a cure for COVID-19, China and India are advising their residents to use traditional medicine and herbal treatments to prevent conditions from worsening. However, public health officials are criticizing their claims due to the lack of scientific evidence.
- China backs unproven treatments for covid-19. published on The Economist (4/11/2020)
China’s government claims that TCM is more than a palliative or placebo. A senior official announced 90% of coronavirus patients who received traditional therapies had been effective nearly 100% of the time.
- TCM and COVID-19: China conducting trials to test efficacy and safety of traditional herbal interventions. published on The NutraIngredients-Asia (4/6/2020)
The deputy head of China’s National Administration of TCM, Yu Yanhong, said more than 50,000 infected patients who receive TCM treatment had recovered. There are six TCM formulas that are being tested in multiple clinical trials.
- China is encouraging herbal remedies to treat COVID-19. But scientists warn against it. published on NBC news (4/5/2020)
This article presents mixed opinions on the safety and efficacy on TCM for the treatment of COVID-19 and the potential political agenda associated with promoting TCM.
- How to treat COVID-19 with TCM. published on China Daily (4/4/2020)
This article provides a brief introduction of how TCM theory explains COVID-19, introduces the key experts who are fighting the pandemic in China, provides an overview of the East-West integrated treatments and discusses the efficacy of treating COVID-19 with TCM.
- Demand for TCM surges in New York as coronavirus fears take hold. published on CGTN (3/19/2020)
This article and accompanying video depicts a Chinese herbal dispensary in New York Chinatown and describes the demand for Chinese herbal medicine by traditional Chinese medicine practitioners in the US.
- Exploring the effectiveness of traditional Chinese medicine against COVID-19. published on Elsevier (3/18/2020)
A Chinese respiratory specialist, Zhong Nanshan, said that an herbal prescription called “Pneumonia No.1” has shown to be effective in clinical trials. In a systematic review, authors concluded a Chinese herbal formula to be a possible alternative approach for preventing COVID-19.