Stress can greatly interfere with sleep and contribute to a downward spiral of declining health. This article provides a few tips and additional resources about how to manage stress for more restful sleep.
The mechanisms of sleep and the role sleep plays in our overall health are areas under substantial investigation. It is commonly known that stress can greatly interfere with sleep and contribute to a downward spiral of declining health. Stress caused by hectic lifestyles or life-changing events can lead to sleep disorders that may result in increased irritability, difficulty with thinking clearly, and even higher stress levels. Here are a few simple tips about how to break this vicious cycle with some techniques for stress management and more restful sleep.
– Use acupressure:
- Acupressure, a form of self-massage that targets specific points on the body, can be an effective way of self care to promote better sleep. Acupressure points are located at the same positions on the body as acupuncture points. However, instead of using needles, pressure is applied through self-massage to stimulate the points in acupressure. Read more about acupressure in Acupressure for Beginners. While the eight essential acupressure points are generally beneficial for overall health and stress reduction, the points specifically pertinent to combat sleep-related problems are Acupressure Point SP6: Spleen 6 or San Yin Jiao and Acupressure Point LV3: Liver 3 or Tai Chong.
– Keep your feet warm:
- Wearing socks and/or soaking your feet in warm water before going to bed can aid in quick induction of sleep. The warmth can help dilate the blood vessels and shift the flow of blood to the feet. This redistribution of body warmth from the core to the extremities can help promote sleep.
– Additional modifications that can help promote more restful sleep:
- Avoid consuming alcoholic drinks and caffeinated foods and beverages close to bedtime.
- Avoid heavy exercise prior to going to bed.
– Learn more about:
- Foods that help promote restful sleep:
- Yoga poses for better sleep:
- Get Some Sleep: Using acupressure, yoga, tai chi
- What are the pressure points for sleep problems?
- Pressure Points That Will Help You Fall Asleep
- Psychology Today: Has Sleep and Stress Become a Vicious Cycle in Your Life?
- Sleep Well
- Renew: Sleep and Stress
- Sleep, vigilance, and thermosensitivity
- Warm feet means swift sleep
- Tips to Reduce Stress and Sleep Better
- 5 Strategies for Adequate Sleep
- Getting a Good Night’s Sleep Is a Nightmare for Many Americans
- All Your Sleep Problems, Solved